Google Analytics, the web analytic service, used by the majority of websites is coming in for a big change in 2023!
On October 14th 2020 Google announced the introduction of Google Analytics 4 (GA4). A completely overhauled version of the very much used analytics platform. GA4 is a new property designed for the future of measurement and tracking engagement. Providing more tools in your businesses arsenal to help improve your service to your customers. Not only does it provide a stronger analytics experience, it allows you to track, in more depth, your user journeys across websites. Some of the primary feature/upgrades are:
- Collects both website and app data to better understand the customer journey
- Uses event-based data instead of session-based
- Includes privacy controls such as cookieless measurement, and behavioural and conversion modelling
- Predictive capabilities offer guidance without complex models
- Direct integrations to media platforms help drive actions on your website or app
- More powerful audiences for your ad campaigns
- Simplified Goals and Events Setup
- Enhanced visualisations and reporting
Whilst not all the features for Universal Analytics is yet to be ported over, the support for GA4 is growing. Although the biggest issue is the fact you’ll have no historical data to go by as it’s a completely new property.
Do I need to upgrade?
The short answer is, Yes. Yes you do. From 1st July 2023 your Universal Analytics account will cease to receive data. Therefore it is imperative to upgrade as soon as you can to make sure you can benefit from the historical data that GA4 can build up for you.
How can I upgrade to Google Analytics 4 (GA4)
With all websites we build at Tickbox, Google Analytics is always configured. In fact all new sites will automatically have their Google Analytics accounts set to GA4. However, for existing clients we do encourage sooner rather than later upgrade to capture data early for next year’s deadline. This will allow the new version to have the data available for comparison purposes.
We can help you setup GA4 by installing the new tag as well as testing to make sure everything is configured correctly. We would also advise making sure you have dual tracking. This will allow you to keep collecting universal tracking as well as GA4 user journeys. Making sure you have historical data in your GA4 property when it comes to 1st July 2023.